Beans & Greens

Wow, it has been far too long since my last post. Things have been so busy here, so I've been relying on my old standbys for reliable meals. But this week, I needed something different for my lunch. I put my thinking cap on and came up with a delicious one-pot meal that took less than 15 minutes to make but satisfied my appetite. We'll call this one "Beans & Greens".


I decided to use cannellini beans, which are medium-sized white beans, creamy and nutty in flavor and texture. Beans are a versatile food, loaded with fiber and protein, Vitamin A & iron. To add flavor and texture, I paired the legume with vidalia onion, garlic, spinach, lemon juice, and a hit of Parmesan cheese. The end result was simple yet decadent and kept me full all afternoon. Make this dish as a light lunch, or a side to go along with dinner. Bon appetit!


Ingredients: (choose organic and locally sourced when available)
  • 1 tablespoon, Oil - Olive
  • 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoon, Parmesan
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 4 cup, Spinach - raw, chopped
  • 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.), Cannellini Beans Canned/Boxed, BPA free, drained and rinsed
  • 1 Medium Vidalia Onion, chopped











Directions:
1. Heat saute pan with medium heat. Add olive oil.
2. Add onions and saute until translucent. 
3. Turn heat down to low, and add garlic and a pinch of salt. 
4. Add spinach one handful at a time, until cooked down. 
5. Add juice from lemon.
6. Add beans and gently mix together. 
7. Top with parmesan cheese to serve. 
**Seasoning options include adding additional salt & pepper, red pepper flakes for heat, or doubling the minced garlic.

Makes 2 servings. 

Nutrition Facts
Servings 2.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 305
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 9 g14 %
Saturated Fat 1 g5 %
Monounsaturated Fat 5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0 %
Sodium 506 mg21 %
Potassium 924 mg26 %
Total Carbohydrate 47 g16 %
Dietary Fiber 13 g54 %
Sugars 0 g
Protein 17 g33 %
Vitamin A113 %
Vitamin C30 %
Calcium19 %
Iron24 %

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full stomach, happy heart...

Coming soon...