From the beginning

I have always loved to cook. I remember trying to "create" minestrone soup from my mother's pantry (which essentially meant throwing all of her canned vegetables into a pot with macaroni noodles and wondering why it never turned out very well...).  I remember going off to college and creating concoctions for any friend would would stay for dinner. So it came as no surprise to anyone that I decided to pursue my BS in Nutrition and become a Registered Dietitian (RD).

While I regretted not going to culinary school - how COOL would that be to COOK ALL DAY- alas, life took over, and I got a job, and a husband and a dog and a kid....
And then one day I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. My world stopped. Including my world in the kitchen. The chemo and various procedures and surgeries decimated my taste buds. Nothing was appealing, and so to satisfy my food "cravings" I sat and watched the Food Network. It was almost ironic that watching someone else cook was interesting when I couldn't eat, but the TV didn't have "smellavision", and I was able to watch it without too much focus (because Chemo Brain is REAL, by the way...).

I remember when I knew I was finally on the path to recovery was the day I was able to cook my favorite butternut squash soup. It's one of the simplest recipes, and yet I was so de-conditioned and weak, the task seemed daunting. But I was determined. Tasting that soup was such an emotional experience, because I WAS BACK. I was able to cook my own food again, AND it tasted good!

That was 2 years ago. While I don't have as much time as I'd like to play in the kitchen, on days when I'm feeling tired or stressed, I head to the kitchen - not to eat, but to cook. It is therapeutic for me to create. 

So I thought I'd document some of the things I've been experimenting with in the kitchen lately. A little bit of Research, a little bit of Development, and a lot of love go into each of my dishes. I hope you enjoy!


Butternut Squash Soup

Vegan, Gluten Free

Ingredients (choose organic and locally sourced when available)
1 butternut squash
1 sweet vidalia onion
2-3 cups vegetable broth (I use Whole Foods Organic Vegetable Broth, you can make your own or use another brand) (Use less broth for a thicker soup, more for a thinner soup - up to you)
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt & pepper to season

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cut butternut squash in half. Scoop out the seeds.
  3. Lightly oil a baking dish, and place butternut squash face down. Bake in oven for 40 minutes, or until the squash is fork tender.
  4. While the butternut squash is cooking, cut vidalia onion into pieces (it doesn't matter the size as long as they are uniform, since they are going to be pureed)
  5. Place olive oil in a saute pan, and add the vidalia onion. Cook over medium heat, until onion is translucent and caramelized. 
  6. Transfer cooked onion to a blender (I use a Vitamix). Scoop out the butternut squash and add to the blender. Add vegetable broth, and blend until smooth and creamy. The longer you blend at a high speed, the more smooth and velvety this soup becomes. I blend for about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Butternut Squash

    Fiber

    Beta-Carotene(Vitamin A)
    Vitamin C
    Magnesium 
    Potassium 
    Manganese




    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 6.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 76
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 2 g4 %
    Saturated Fat 0 g2 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg0 %
    Sodium 290 mg12 %
    Potassium 397 mg11 %
    Total Carbohydrate 14 g5 %
    Dietary Fiber 2 g9 %
    Sugars 2 g
    Protein 1 g2 %
    Vitamin A205 %
    Vitamin C33 %
    Calcium5 %
    Iron4 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.



    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Coming soon...

    Happy Healthy New Year!

    Full stomach, happy heart...